Navigating Maritime Commerce Histories: Unearthing the Lancang Kuning Legacy
Menggali Sejarah Perdagangan Maritim: Membuka Misteri Warisan Lancang Kuning
This study underscores the untapped historical significance of the Lancang Kuning, a Pinisi type sailing ship, in the context of maritime trade within the Nusantara archipelago, and the implications it carries for global maritime historiography. By employing a comprehensive historical research methodology—encompassing heuristics, criticism, interpretation, and historiography—we delve into verbal and object sources, followed by rigorous data triangulation. Our findings unearth that the Lancang Kuning, initially named La Suni, was constructed in 1860 by Laode Ntauale in Katilombu, Sampolawa, and later relocated to Riau in 1865 to bolster trade activities in Tanjung Buton. The ship's creation was necessitated by the need for a vessel capable of large-scale commodity transport beyond the Nusantara region. The ship significantly contributed to the prosperity of the creator's family, its crew, and the local community, with the management entrusted to its crew. However, the ship ceased to operate post Laode Ntauale's demise and was subsequently abandoned in Siak, Riau. This study accentuates the Lancang Kuning's pivotal role in regional trade, offering a nuanced understanding of maritime trade history, vital for global maritime scholars and policymakers.
- Lancang Kuning, a Pinisi type sailing ship built in 1860, played a crucial role in enhancing maritime trade within the Nusantara region.
- The ship's construction was necessitated by the demand for large-scale commodity transport beyond the Nusantara archipelago.
- Post the demise of its creator, Laode Ntauale, the ship was abandoned, highlighting the transient nature of maritime trade mechanisms and their dependency on key individuals.
Keywords: Buton's maritime culture, maritime history, Lancang Kuning ship, the history of the Butonese people
- N. Hermita, M. Alpusari, J. A. Alim, and E. Suanto, "Extracting Indigenous Riau-Malays’ Scientific Literacy Through Lancang Kuning Folklore with Thematic Learning in the Primary School Context," JETL (Journal of Education, Teaching and Learning), vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 59-66, 2020. doi: 10.26737/jetl.v5i1.959.
- B. Kanumoyoso, "Malay Maritime World in Southeast Asia," Journal of Maritime Studies and National Integration, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 16-22, 2018. doi: 10.14710/jmsni.v2i1.2861.
- H. D. Evers and S. Darit, "Malaysian Maritime Potential and the Straits of Malacca," Annuals of Marine Sociology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 49-53, 2011.
- J. Topolski, Theory and Methodology of Historical Knowledge: An Anthology. Poznan: Adam Mickiewicz University, 2022.
- S. Kartodirdjo, Pendekatan Ilmu Sosial Dalam Metodologi Sejarah. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama, 1992.
- R. Samin and K. Ismail, "The Local Wisdom of the Shipping Industry of Bintan Society, Riau Archipelago (The Study of Lancang Kuning Boat)," International Journal of Latest Research in Humanities and Social Science, vol. 02, no. 02, pp. 20-23, 2010.
- R. Samin and Khodijah, "Perahu Lancang Kuning Kearifan Lokal Masyarakat Melayu Bintan Kepulauan Riau," Jurnal Ilmu Administrasi Negara, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 9-13, 2018.
- H. Musa, R. C. Rodi, and S. J. N. Muhammad, "Sejarah Ringkas Warisan Perkapalan Tradisional Melayu," International Journal of the Malay World and Civilization, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 31-42, 2014.
- F. N. Madani, "Local Genius Tradisi Pembuatan Perahu Masyarakat Bontobahari Terhadap Spirit Kebudayaan Maritim Nusantara," Jurnal Masyarakat dan Budaya, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 367-378, 2021. doi: 10.14203/jmb.v23i3.1160.
- S. Widjaja and Kadarusman, Buku Besar Maritim Indonesia: Seri Buku 4 - Sosial Budaya Masyarakat Maritim. Jakarta: Amafrad Press, 2019.
- H. H. Liebner, "Beberapa Catatan Akan Sejarah Pembuatan Perahu dan Pelayaran Nusantara," in Proceedings of the National History Conference X Volume II Subtheme II, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2016, pp. 1-83.
- J. Vansina, Oral Tradition as History. Madison, WI, USA: The University of Wisconsin Press, 2007.
- Kuntowijoyo, Introduction to History. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: Tiara Wacana, 2013.
- T. W. M. Irsyam, Local History. Jakarta, Indonesia: Directorate General of Culture, Ministry of Education and Culture, 2018.
- B. Kanumoyoso, History Method. Jakarta, Indonesia: Directorate General of Culture, Ministry of Education and Culture, 2018.
- S. Byrskog, Story as History - History as Story. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers, 2002.
- K. Harvey, History and Material Culture: A Student’s Guide to Approaching Alternative Sources. London, UK: Routledge, 2009.
- S. Zuhdi, G. A. Ohorella, and M. Said, Traditional Kingdoms of Southeast Sulawesi: Buton Sultanate. Jakarta, Indonesia: Department of Education and Culture, Republic of Indonesia, 1996.
- A. M. Zahari, History and Adat Fiy Darul Butuni (Buton). Jakarta, Indonesia: Department of Education and Culture, Republic of Indonesia, 1977.
- R. Samin and K. Khodijah, "Design of Lancang Kuning Boat Prototype (A Case Study in Bintan, Riau Islands Province)," in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research, 2020, pp. 75-82.
Download data is not yet available.