- Teaching Speaking,
- Guessing Game,
- Speaking Skill
Copyright (c) 2023 Wega Dhea Agnesia, Yuli Astutik
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This article aims to find out how effective the use of guessing games as an English learning strategy is, especially in speaking skills. Many students cannot speak English because they think English is something that is difficult to learn and thus leads to an inability to master the material. For this reason, the researcher wants to apply the guessing game to the students' speaking ability. This study uses a quantitative method with a sample of class VIII F consisting of 33 students at SMPN 2 Gempol. Data was collected by conducting a pre-test and a post-test. The results were analyzed using the T-paired Test. The results of data analysis showed that the t-test value was higher than the t-table value (16,369 > 2,036). That means H0 is rejected and H1 is accepted, which states that there is a significant effect on the use of guessing games. Thus, teachers can apply guessing games to teach English speaking skills.
- Al-oglah, Thara Mahmoud Ali (2018). Teaching and Learning English as a Foreign Language. International Journal of English Language Teaching, 5(2), 57,ISSN 2329-7921, Sciedu Press, https://doi.org/10.5430/ijelt.v5n2p57
- Newton, Jonathan (2016). Teaching English for Intercultural Spoken Communication. English Language Teaching Today, 161-177, ISSN 2213- 6967, Springer International Publishing, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-38834-2_12
- Goh, C. C. (2016). Teaching speaking. In English Language Teaching Today (pp.143-159). Springer, Cham.
- Klippel, F., Swan, M., Ur, P. (1984). Keep talking: communicative fluency activities for language teaching. Britania Raya: Cambridge University Press
- Anggraini, A., Sukirlan, M., & Suka, R. G. (2020). The use of guessing game to improve students' vocabulary mastery. U-JET, 9(2).
- Simamora, J. M., Sinaga, R., & Tarigan, S. N. (2019). Improving Students Speaking Skills by Recount Text. Linguistic, English Education and Art (LEEA) Journal, 3(1), 219-229.
- Creswell, J. W., Creswell, J. D. (2017). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. United States: SAGE Publications.
- Sofyan, Y., & Kurniawan, H. (2009). Teknik Analisis Statistik terlengkap dengan Software SPSS. Salemba Infotek, Jakarta.
- Hayati, A. (2020). The use of digital guessing game to improve students’ speaking ability. Journal of English Education and Teaching, 4(1), 115-126.
- Nirwaty, N. (2020). Improving Students’ Speaking Skill by Using Guessing Game at Grade VIII A of SMP Negeri 1 Tanjung Pinang. J-SHMIC: Journal of English for Academic, 7(1), 43-56.
- Maqfirah, Y. (2018). The Use of Guessing Games to Teach Speaking Skill. Research in English and Education Journal, 3(1), 91-99.
- Ayu, K. S. I., & Ayu, O. P. I. (2019). Developing Students Speaking Skill Trough Guessing Games. Yavana Bhasha: Journal of English Language Education, 2(2), 55-63.