Grammatical Error Analysis Using Simple Present Tense in Writing Descriptive Text by Seventh Grade Students Analisis Kesalahan Tata Bahasa Menggunakan Simple Present Tense dalam Menulis Teks Descriptive Oleh Siswa Kelas VII
- Simple Present Tense,
- Descriptive Text
Copyright (c) 2023 Azza Hikmiawati, Vidya Mandarani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Simple present tense is a tense that should be mastered correctly by seventh grade students of SMP Muhammadiyah 10. Simple present tense is used in daily activities when using English. Descriptive text is text that is used to describe somethide by students and the dominant errors in the use of the simple present tense when writing descriptive texts. The method used in this research is qualitative method. This method is used because the data is processed by technique data analysis. The population of data is from all seventh grade students of SMP Muhammadiyah 10, which consists of 45 students from two different classes. After being identified, there are 37 student’s exercise results which will then be analyzed. In collecting data, the researcher used the results of students' writing in using the simple present tense when writing descriptive texts. From the results, it can be seen that omission errors is 46.90%, addition errors is 16.04%, misformation errors is 27.16%, and misordering errors is 9.90%. It can be concluded that the dominant error in the use of the simple present tense in writing descriptive texts is omission with 38 errors or 46.90%.
- Azar, B. S. (1989). Understanding and Using English Grammar , Second Edition.
- New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Brown, H.D. (1980). Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. New York: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Brown, D. H. (2000). Principle of language learning and teaching (4th ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Dulay, H., Burt, M., & Krashen, S. (1982). Language Two. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Emilia, E. (2008). Menulis Tesis dan Disertasi. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Ellis, R. (1997). Second language acquisition. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Pres
- Ellis, Rod. (2008). The Study of Second Language Acquisition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hadi, S. (1982). Pengantar Statistik. Jakarta: Rajawali.
- Hasanah, U. (2017). Error Analysis on Using Simple Present Tense in Writing DescriptiveText Made by The Tenth Grade Students of Sman1 Pace in Academic Year 2015/2016. Artikel Skripsi Universitas Nusantara PGRI Kediri.simki.unpkediri.ac.id.
- Hedge, T. (2000). Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hendriyani, T. (2017). An Error Analysis on The Use of Simple Present Tense in Descriptive Text Writing Made by The Tenth Grade Students of MA Muhammadiyah 1 Palembang. (Doctoral dissertation, UIN Raden Fatah Palembang).
- Herawati (2019). Error Analysis on Students Descriptive Writing. Unpublished Sarjana’s Thesis, English Education Department, Faculty of Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University, Makassar.
- Husna, L., Zainil., & Rozimela, Y. (2013). An Analysis of Students’ Writing Skill in Descriptive Text at Grade X1 IPA 1 of MAN 2 Padang. Journal English Language Teaching (ELT), 1 (2), 5-6.
- Hyland, K. (2003). Second Language Writing. United States of America: Cambridge University Press.
- Ida, K. (2021). Errors in The Use of English Tenses in Writing Descriptive Text by The Second Grade of MTSN 1 Luwuk. Unpublished Sarjana’s Thesis, English Department Faculty Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University, Makassar.
- James, C. (1998). Errors in language learning and use: Exploring error analysis. New York,NY: Longman.
- Kane, T. S. (2000). Essential Guide to Writing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Krohn, Robert (1971). English Sentence Structure: English Successor to English Sentence Patterns, The University of Michigan.
- Larsen-freeman, D., & Michael H. L. (1991). An Introduction to Second Language Acquisition Research. London and New York: Pearson Education Limited.
- Lambert, V.A., & Lambert, C.E. (2012). Qualitative descriptive research: An acceptable research. Pacific Rim International Journal Research, 16(4), 255-256.
- Nunan, David.2005.Practical English Language Teaching: Young Learners.New York: Mc Graw-Hill.