Vol 8 No 1 (2023): June
Picture in here are illustration from public domain image or provided by the author, as part of their works
Published June 26, 2023
- Simple Present Tense,
- descriptive texts,
- error analysis,
- seventh grade students,
- qualitative method
How to Cite
Hikmiawati, A., & Mandarani, V. (2023). Analyzing 7th Graders’ Simple Present Errors in Descriptive Writing. Academia Open, 8(1), 10.21070/acopen.8.2023.4537. https://doi.org/10.21070/acopen.8.2023.4537
Copyright (c) 2023 Azza Hikmiawati, Vidya Mandarani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
AbstractThis study aims to investigate the dominant errors in the use of the simple present tense by seventh grade students when writing descriptive texts. The qualitative research method was employed, utilizing data analysis techniques to process the collected information. The population consisted of 45 students from two different classes at SMP Muhammadiyah 10, with 37 students' exercise results being analyzed. The data was obtained from students' written compositions in which they employed the simple present tense to describe various subjects. The findings revealed four major error types: omission (46.90%), addition (16.04%), misformation (27.16%), and misordering (9.90%). Among these, omission errors were the most prevalent, comprising 38 errors or 46.90% of the total. The results emphasize the need for targeted instruction and practice to enhance students' mastery of the simple present tense in writing descriptive texts, thereby improving their overall English language proficiency. Highlights:
- Error analysis: Identifying and analyzing errors in the use of simple present tense in descriptive texts.
- Seventh grade students: Evaluating the proficiency of students in using the simple present tense.
- Qualitative method: Employing a qualitative approach to gather and analyze data on error patterns in descriptive writing.
Keywords: simple present tense, descriptive texts, error analysis, seventh grade students, qualitative method.
Download data is not yet available.
- Azar, B. S. (1989). Understanding and Using English Grammar , Second Edition.
- New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Brown, H.D. (1980). Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. New York: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Brown, D. H. (2000). Principle of language learning and teaching (4th ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Dulay, H., Burt, M., & Krashen, S. (1982). Language Two. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Emilia, E. (2008). Menulis Tesis dan Disertasi. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Ellis, R. (1997). Second language acquisition. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Pres
- Ellis, Rod. (2008). The Study of Second Language Acquisition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hadi, S. (1982). Pengantar Statistik. Jakarta: Rajawali.
- Hasanah, U. (2017). Error Analysis on Using Simple Present Tense in Writing DescriptiveText Made by The Tenth Grade Students of Sman1 Pace in Academic Year 2015/2016. Artikel Skripsi Universitas Nusantara PGRI Kediri.simki.unpkediri.ac.id.
- Hedge, T. (2000). Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hendriyani, T. (2017). An Error Analysis on The Use of Simple Present Tense in Descriptive Text Writing Made by The Tenth Grade Students of MA Muhammadiyah 1 Palembang. (Doctoral dissertation, UIN Raden Fatah Palembang).
- Herawati (2019). Error Analysis on Students Descriptive Writing. Unpublished Sarjana’s Thesis, English Education Department, Faculty of Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University, Makassar.
- Husna, L., Zainil., & Rozimela, Y. (2013). An Analysis of Students’ Writing Skill in Descriptive Text at Grade X1 IPA 1 of MAN 2 Padang. Journal English Language Teaching (ELT), 1 (2), 5-6.
- Hyland, K. (2003). Second Language Writing. United States of America: Cambridge University Press.
- Ida, K. (2021). Errors in The Use of English Tenses in Writing Descriptive Text by The Second Grade of MTSN 1 Luwuk. Unpublished Sarjana’s Thesis, English Department Faculty Teacher Training and Education, Muhammadiyah University, Makassar.
- James, C. (1998). Errors in language learning and use: Exploring error analysis. New York,NY: Longman.
- Kane, T. S. (2000). Essential Guide to Writing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Krohn, Robert (1971). English Sentence Structure: English Successor to English Sentence Patterns, The University of Michigan.
- Larsen-freeman, D., & Michael H. L. (1991). An Introduction to Second Language Acquisition Research. London and New York: Pearson Education Limited.
- Lambert, V.A., & Lambert, C.E. (2012). Qualitative descriptive research: An acceptable research. Pacific Rim International Journal Research, 16(4), 255-256.
- Nunan, David.2005.Practical English Language Teaching: Young Learners.New York: Mc Graw-Hill.