Analysis of Students' Difficulties in Writing Descriptive Texts Facing First Grade Students of Junior High School Analisis Kesulitan Siswa dalam Menulis Teks Deskriptif yang Dihadapi Siswa Kelas I Sekolah Menengah Pertama
- Students’ Difficulties,
- Descriptive Text,
- The Causes of Students’ Difficulties
Copyright (c) 2023 Titan Nur Maulidiyah, Vidya Mandarani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Descriptive text is one of the writing materials that is taught to seventh-grade students based on the curriculum of 2013, in descriptive text, students learn how to describe and make a text by writing their idea and information that they get from the subject. Unfortunately, there are still many students who don’t have enough capability to write descriptive text well because of some factors. This research is qualitative descriptive research. The data instruments were from the students’ writing exercises that were given by the researcher and the interview activities that were conducted with an English teacher and the first-grade students of SMP PGRI 16 Sidoarjo, then the data were analyzed to get the result. The data was taken from the first-grade students of SMP PGRI 16 Sidoarjo. The researcher wanted to know the students’ difficulties in writing descriptive text and the causes of students’ difficulties. The results indicate that the students’ difficulties in writing descriptive text are divided into three things, such as 1) the generic structure, 2) grammar (the use of the noun, pronoun, conjunction, preposition, and simple present tense), and 3) spelling. The causes of students’ difficulties in writing descriptive text are the lack of English Proficiency, lack of knowledge in descriptive text material, lack of interest in learning English, and the factors internal and external such as the family background and the skill or capability of the students.
- S. N. S. &. P. A. Yulianti, “ Improving Students’writing Skill Using Brainswriting Strategy,” Project (Professional Journal of English Education), vol. 2(5), pp. 714-721, 2019.
- V. S. S. &. R. C. S. Durga, “Developing students’ writing skills in English: A process approach,” Durga, V. S. S., & Rao, C. S. (2018). Developing studeJournal for Research Scholars and Professionals of English Language Teaching, 2018.
- S. Sarlin, “The Students’ difficulties on writing descriptive text mastery at the tenth grade of S MA Negeri 1 Panyabungan Utara,” Doctoral dissertation, IAIN Padangsidimpuan, 2019.
- C. S. Novita, “ An Analysis of Students’ Ability and Difficulties in Writing Descriptive Text at First Year Students of SMA Negeri Bunga Bangsa, Nagan Raya,” Doctoral dissertation, UIN Ar-Raniry Banda Aceh., 2017.
- I. M. Alfaki, “University Students’ English Writing Problems: Diagnosis and Remedy,” 2015.
- S. E. Evawina, “ The was of Improving Students’ Achievement on Writing Descriptive Paragraph through the Application of Student Team Achievement Divwasion,” Medan: State University of Medan., 2010.
- A. M. Latief, “Research Methods on Language Learning and Introduction (6th Edition),” Malang: Universitas Negeri Malang., 2017.
- R. N. Rosa, English For General Purpose: A course Of University Students. Padang: Sukabina Offset., 2008.
- E. &. K. A. Ismayanti, "An Analysis of Students’ Difficulties in Writing Descriptive Text," E-Link Journal, 7(1), 10-20., 2020
- Sugiono, “Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif, dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta,” 2016.